Karen Read trial live stream

FOX 31 Denver

Witness testimony resumed Tuesday in the trial of Karen Read, with Canton Police Sgt.
Watch the Karen Read trial live on nbcboston.com, NECN, NBC Boston streaming platforms (including Roku, Peacock and Samsung TV) and NBC10 Boston’s YouTube page.
Read is charged with second-degree murder in the 2022 death of her boyfriend, Boston Police Officer John O’Keefe.
Prosecutors say Read hit O’Keefe with her SUV, while Read says she has been framed in a wide-ranging coverup.
Sean Goode testifies The day’s second witness was Goode, the Canton police sergeant and shift supervisor on the day of O’Keefe’s death.
Higgins worked out of the Canton police department, Goode testified, in a unique arrangement.
While Goode was on duty the night O’Keefe was killed, he saw Higgins enter the police station about 1:30 a.m., Goode testified.
Lank was questioned by Jackson, saying he knows Tim and Chris Albert from childhood, and that he has a civil relationship with Brian Albert.


Canton Police Sergeant Karen Read’s witness testimony continued on Tuesday in her trial. Resuming his stand is Sean Goode.

Linkages between the parties and the Canton Police Department are being established by the defense.

View the Karen Read trial in real time on NBC10 Boston’s YouTube channel, nbcboston . com, NECN, and NBC Boston streaming services (available on Roku, Peacock, and Samsung TV). Each trial night at 7:00 p.m. M. return for additional analysis.

Given that her boyfriend, Boston Police Officer John O’Keefe, died in 2022, Read is accused of second-degree murder. Outside the Canton home of fellow Boston Police Officer Brian Albert, he was discovered in the snow. Read claims she has been falsely accused of being part of an extensive cover-up, but prosecutors claim she struck O’Keefe with her SUV. Now free on bond, Read entered a not guilty plea.

But, as the testimony goes on, Read’s defense team is challenging the reliability of the Canton police investigating officers.

“Since Kevin Albert is one of our best investigators, we did not want to conduct any investigative interviews. We didn’t think it would be appropriate if we were on those interviews questioning family members because he is the brother of the property owner,” Canton Police Lt. The initial witness to testify on Monday was Paul Gallagher.

After Albert threw a party that O’Keefe was invited to, O’Keefe’s body was discovered on his lawn a few hours later. Despite discovering O’Keefe dead in the snow with obvious signs of trauma, Gallagher testified that they did not enter the building but rather questioned everyone before withdrawing, citing familial ties and lack of probable cause.

Additionally, Gallagher stated that prior to this one, he had never processed a crime scene in the snow. He claimed that this was his first experience using a leaf blower at a crime scene. He further stated that, lacking the proper supplies, Canton police used red Solo cups, given by a neighboring member of the department, and a Stop and Shop bag to store it.

This was seen by Read’s attorneys as a minor win, as they had shown that the evidence from the Canton police might have been tainted by cross-contamination and by the officers’ conflicts of interest with the Albert family.

“I’m really, really worried. that has always been the central argument in this case, according to Read’s defense lawyer Alan Jackson.

We heard testimony from a sergeant who actually entered the Albert home after the jury was dismissed, and the defense wants to talk about a previous case in which the same sergeant was connected to the Albert family.

Defense accuses Katie McLaughin of perjury.

Defense lawyer David Yannetti claimed that fresh evidence demonstrating McLaughlin’s self-perjury surfaced over the weekend, prior to the commencement of the Monday trial.

Given that they were teammates on the same high school track team and that recent images of the two of them, including one from a baby shower in June 2021—roughly eight months before O’Keefe passed away—showed that McLaughlin and Caitlin Albert were more than just acquaintances, he claimed.

Yannetti declared, “Katie McLaughlin’s self-perjury is extremely evident.”.

Before Caitlin Albert took the stand, he requested a decision regarding the photos’ admissibility, which the prosecution stated is anticipated to occur sometime this week. Judge Beverly Cannone stated that she will deal with the matter on Tuesday or Monday.

Officer Canton Sgt. Testifying is Sean Goode.

Goode, the shift supervisor and police sergeant from Canton on the day of O’Keefe’s death, was the second witness of the day. Around 12:30 p.m., right before the lunch break, he took the stand. me.

Adam Lally, an assistant district attorney, began by inquiring about police dispatch protocols and the distinctions between 911 calls.

Goode remembered that about five in the morning, a woman had called 911. me. enquiring as to whether anyone had been locked up, since the individual in question had disappeared after going out with friends. When he was called to Fairview Road later that morning, he found out that the 911 caller from earlier in the evening was Kerry Roberts, even though he had no idea who the caller was at the time.

“My friend’s boyfriend didn’t come home last night,” Roberts said in the 911 call that the prosecution then played. Goode can be heard on the call stating that no one had been imprisoned.

Then, one hour or so later, a second 911 call from Jennifer McCabe was played. This was a more desperate call. After Goode asked if anyone knew how to perform CPR, McCabe was heard muttering, “I think he’s gone.”. From the background, the sound of an ambulance sirening could be heard.

Lally showed the sergeant’s police cruiser dashcam footage from the day of O’Keefe’s death, and Goode returned to the stand after lunch. He can be seen arriving in the video along with Read and a few other people.

It was a disorganized scene. Individuals were simply coming and going,” Goode remarked.

He claimed that while at the scene, he had conversations with McCabe and Read. It was hard to hear what people were saying because of how loud the wind was howling, he claimed. Read, he said, was yelling out, asking if O’Keefe was dead, and he described her as “confused, hysterical, in shock.”.

According to Goode, after that, he put Read in the back of the police cruiser and asked her if she had driven there. She said, “I believe so.”. “.

He continued by explaining that Read was ultimately admitted to the hospital under the terms of a Section 12 because her father had told the police that she had been calling in a panic and had wanted to commit suicide.

We need to find out what happened last night, that night, as Goode stated in his testimony regarding entering the house to investigate: “We have no idea why John O’Keefe is laying on the front lawn of the house.”. While speaking with Brian and Nicole Albert, he claimed not to have been inside the house and to have glanced into the dining room.

According to Goode’s testimony, the lieutenant decided to use a leaf blower to seal off the scene after realizing that the snow was falling so quickly and that it was necessary. After five or seven minutes, Goode claimed to have “shot back to my residence and grabbed my own,” and with it, they were able to uncover blood and broken glass.

Next, it was the defense’s turn to cross-examine him. Yannetti began by laying out a number of facts, including the fact that he was acquainted with Kevin Albert and the Albert family and had attended school with the sister-in-law of one of the Alberts and the sister of Michael Proctor, the chief state police investigator on the scene.

They talked about how Canton police had eventually withdrawn from the investigation; Goode said he had completed his paperwork when he was informed, but he also pointed out that state police would take up the case—his first homicide case—given O’Keefe’s passing.

After that, Yannetti turned to Brian Higgins, a U.S. S. The friend of Brian Albert was at the Fairview Road home the night before O’Keefe was discovered dead, according to reports from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives. According to Goode’s testimony, Higgins had a special arrangement with the Canton police department.

Goode witnessed Higgins enter the police station at around 1:30 a.m. on the night O’Keefe was killed while he was on duty. M. Goode gave testimony. He said it was normal to see him at 1:30 on a weekend, but he had no idea why he was there or where he was coming from. He was also unsure of how long he had been at the station.

Yannetti skipped ahead to Goode’s response to the Fairview home, where they established the officer knew belonged to Brian Albert because he had previously visited the residence for a police report with now-Detective Sgt. Lank, Michael.

Yannetti inquired as to whether Goode had looked into the home’s cellar, a crucial question left unanswered in the defense’s theory of the case, and Goode acknowledged that he had never done so.

He concurred that the scene was chaotic and that, by the time he arrived at the house, Read seemed to be in a distressed state, screaming. Furthermore, he claimed he never heard her say, “I hit him.”. “.”.

When pressed, Goode recalled that officers searched the ground for evidence using the leaf blower, investigators’ hands, and their feet, looking for “anything.” However, they were unable to locate O’Keefe’s missing shoe or the pieces of Read’s broken taillight, which were later discovered at the house.

When questioned, Goode added that no officer had watched over the crime scene during the two hours they were there and that setting up a tent to protect it from the weather was not part of the protocol.

Yannetti also questioned Goode’s report regarding two apparent omissions: Higgins’ address was listed as the Canton Police Department, and Brian Albert’s name was the only one not spelled out.

Yannetti questioned, “Did you hide the fact that Brian Albert was involved by removing his first name?”.

Albert said, “No.”.

Higgins replied, “I dunno,” when asked why his address was listed as 1492 Washington Street. “.”.

That proved to be Higgins’s final series of inquiries for the day.

Detective Sgt. Jury not present during Michael Lank’s interview.

During voir dire, which began after the jury was dismissed for the day, Lank was questioned alternately by the prosecution and defense. Cannone will decide whether or not Lank’s background, which came up during the conversation, can be brought up during his testimony.

In response to Jackson’s questions, Lank claimed to have a cordial relationship with Brian Albert and to have known Tim and Chris Albert since they were young. Two decades ago, they had an altercation between Chris Albert and two brothers that resulted in punches being thrown and legal action being taken both criminally and civilly due to the brothers’ claims that Lank had abused them.

He testified in the criminal case, and that case was settled.

Lank testified later that “it had nothing to do with it being Chris Albert,” and that he would have behaved himself the same way with someone else. At the beginning of the incident, Albert “approached my vehicle and stated that he had been in an altercation earlier in the night with one of the” brothers.

In another hit-and-run case, Lank testified that he tracked Tim Albert from the crash scene to the Fairview house where O’Keefe’s body would be discovered years later. Jackson also inquired about this case. Although Lank and his associate did not administer a field sobriety test or use a breathalyzer, they did interview Albert.

Lank agreed that he had apologized and was afraid, saying, “We spoke with him and he gave an explanation.”. He recalled that they would charge him with a misdemeanor later on.

Jackson stated that the fact that Lank was “the very first officer to walk in that front door,” where he knew he would find the homeowners and possibly other witnesses, and that jurors should be able to weigh that fact, along with the fact that Lank interviewed them without recording it, “shows how long they’ve been involved with each other… how deep the ties run” between him and the Albert family. This was after Lank was granted an excuse.

Creating a “trial within a trial,” Lally stated for the prosecution that “there is no actual relevancy to any of this.”. Cannone, however, stated that she didn’t agree and that before making a decision, she wanted to see the police reports from one of the cases.

Up to eight weeks of the trial are anticipated, with Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays being full days and Tuesdays and Thursdays being half days.

scroll to top