The wreck of a 300-year-old ship is thought to hold treasure

GO

-0.9400675296783447
The first phase of the scientific research into the deep waters around the shipwreck will collect information to determine which pieces are suitable and possible to extract.
The wreckage is 600 meters (almost 2,000 feet) deep in the sea.
Colombia located the galleon in 2015 but it has since been mired in legal and diplomatic disputes, and its exact location is a state secret.
The expedition would start in spring depending on weather conditions.
Oceanographer and navy Rear Adm. Hermann León Rincón told reporters the expedition involves submerging robotic equipment that is connected to a navy ship.
The robotic system was acquired by Colombia in 2021 and has the capacity to descend up to 1,500 meters (4,900 feet) deep.
The ship has been the subject of a legal battle in the United States, Colombia and Spain over who owns the rights to the sunken treasure.
Colombia’s government said Thursday that it formally began arbitration litigation with Sea Search Armada, a group of American investors, for the economic rights of the San José.
The firm claims $10 billion corresponding to what they assume is worth 50% of the galleon treasure that they claim to have discovered in 1982.
The ship is believed to hold 11 million gold and silver coins, emeralds and other precious cargo from Spanish-controlled colonies, which could be worth billions of dollars if ever recovered.

In an effort to look into and possibly raise artifacts from the fabled galleon San José, the Colombian government has announced an underwater exploration project that will drop more than 600 meters below the surface.

BOGOTA, Colombia – On Friday, the Colombian government revealed plans for a deep-water expedition to investigate the fabled galleon San José, which is thought to have sunk in the country’s northern Caribbean in the 18th century and carried billion-dollar worth of cargo.

In order to identify which parts are appropriate and feasible to extract, data will be gathered during the first stage of the scientific investigation into the deep waters surrounding the shipwreck. 600 meters, or nearly 2,000 feet, down, the wreckage is located in the ocean.

The galleon was found by Colombia in 2015, but since then, it has become entangled in legal and diplomatic issues, and its precise location is protected state secret.

The government has announced that it will spend about $4,05 million this year investigating the 62-gun, three-masted galleon that sank in 1708 after an English squadron ambushed it while it was traveling to Cartagena.

At a symposium on the galleon held in Cartagena on Friday, Alhena Caicedo Fernández, general director of the Colombian Institute of Archeology and History (ICANH), stated that the country’s government has no plans to collaborate with private companies for the initial phase of the investigation.

Depending on the weather, the expedition would set out in spring.

Sea scientist and navy rear admiral. The mission entails submerging robotic equipment that is attached to a navy ship, Hermann León Rincón informed reporters. From there, he explained, the robot will be placed in communication with a satellite in geostationary orbit by means of cameras, recording every move it makes.

The robotic system, which can descend to a depth of 1,500 meters (4,900 feet), was purchased by Colombia in 2021.

The goal of the operation, according to archaeologist and ICANH leader of submerged cultural heritage Carlos Reina Martínez, is to learn about daily life, artillery, and merchandise of the American colonial era as well as to ascertain what conditions were like for the 600 people on board the boat when it sank.

The value of the wreck is patrimonial, not monetary, according to Colombia’s minister of culture Juan David Correa, who stated, “It is time to claim the heritage elements for which the remains of the galleon should be valued.”. “The treasure is history.”. ****.

Disputes over who is entitled to the sunken treasure on board the ship have been the focus of legal action in Spain, Colombia, and the US.

The government of Colombia announced on Thursday that it had formally started arbitration proceedings against a group of American investors called Sea Search Armada regarding the economic rights of the San José forest. The business asserts a $10 billion claim, which is equivalent to what they believe to be 50% of the galleon treasure they say they found in 1982.

It is estimated that the ship contains 11 million gold and silver coins, emeralds, and other valuables from colonies under Spanish rule. If these items are ever found, they could be worth billions of dollars.

Assembled

Leave a Reply

scroll to top