The skier who died on Mount Washington was a college student



A University of Vermont student was the backcountry skier who passed away this past weekend on Mount Washington in New Hampshire, the institution announced on Monday.

The skier’s identity was revealed on Sunday as Madison Saltsburg, 20. A spokesman for the University of Vermont verified her status as a Pennsylvania junior and said the community was “deeply saddened to learn” of her passing.

Our deepest sympathies are with Madie’s friends and family at this trying time. The representative said in a statement, “A statement to the entire university community is forthcoming and will include resources for members of our community impacted by this tragedy.”.

In extremely steep terrain and difficult, icy conditions on Saturday afternoon, Saltsburg fell approximately 600 vertical feet (183 meters), the U.S. S. the Forest Service stated on Sunday. Two persons who suffered horrific injuries from rocks and ice were among the other casualties on Saturday; however, the service stated in a statement that they are anticipated to live.

Receive daily email updates on local news, sports, entertainment, and lifestyle in Boston. Subscribe to the newsletters offered by NBC Boston.

The three skiers had been in Tuckerman Ravine, a well-liked backcountry skiing destination. A stormy night and early Sunday morning saw the rescue operation continue.

With its varied weather, Mount Washington, the highest peak in the Northeast, is well-known. It is the location of several rescues.

A hiker from Kentucky, age 23, who had gotten off trail and into the Ammonoosuc Ravine, was rescued the night before the three individuals encountered difficulties, according to a report from New Hampshire Fish and Game.

According to a statement from the organization, the hiker “fell and hit his head and face, lost one of his sneakers, and eventually became hypothermic.”.

“He received a headlamp, appropriate winter clothing, food, warm drink, and boots. The agency said that he was escorted back to the trail and subsequently to the Cog Railway parking lot.

While describing his 11-hour ordeal to The Associated Press, another hiker who was rescued from the Ammonoosuc Ravine in February admitted he had made some bad choices and was ill-prepared for the hike.

Leave a Reply

scroll to top