The International Court of Justice is expected to rule Friday on whether to order an end to the Gaza war

The Times of Israel

The United Nations’ top court said it would rule Friday on a request by South Africa to order Israel to implement a ceasefire in the Gaza Strip, as Hebrew media reported that officials believe judges will at least partly accept the demand.
South Africa has petitioned the International Court of Justice (ICJ) for emergency measures to order Israel to “cease its military operations in the Gaza Strip” including in the city of Rafah, where it is pressing an offensive.
The Rafah campaign is “the last step in the destruction of Gaza and its Palestinian people,” argued Vaughan Lowe, a lawyer for South Africa.
“It was Rafah that brought South Africa to the court.
‘Genocide Convention’ This is the fourth time South Africa has appealed to the court, with Israel accusing the country of abusing the procedure.
South Africa says that Israel is acting in contravention of the 1948 UN Genocide Convention, claims strongly denied by Israel.
The court rejected a second South African application for emergency measures over Israel’s threat to attack Rafah, and South Africa made a new request in early March.
Israel also says it killed some 1,000 terrorists inside Israel on October 7.

NEGATIVE

The top court of the United Nations said it will make a decision on Friday regarding South Africa’s request for an order compelling Israel to enforce a ceasefire in the Gaza Strip. According to Hebrew media, officials anticipate that the demand will be partially granted.

The International Court of Justice (ICJ) has been requested by South Africa to take emergency action and order Israel to “cease its military operations in the Gaza Strip,” which includes the city of Rafah, where it is waging an offensive.

According to several Hebrew media outlets, Israel was getting ready for the decision on Thursday and was worried that it would include a directive to either end the war or the operation in Rafah.

According to an unsourced report published on the Ynet news site, officials feel that there is a low likelihood that the International Court of Justice (ICJ) will reject South Africa’s request for a cease-fire, a medium likelihood that the court will accept South Africa’s initial demand to end the conflict in Gaza, and a medium-to-high likelihood that it will concentrate its cease-fire order on Rafah.

According to Ynet’s assessment, there was a significant likelihood that the court would issue additional orders to augment aid to Palestinians in Gaza.

According to unidentified officials quoted by Channel 12, Jerusalem has no intention of upholding the ruling.

A government spokesman told Reuters prior to the decision that “no power on Earth will stop Israel from protecting its citizens and going after Hamas in Gaza.”. “.

Though it cannot compel states to follow its decisions, the International Court of Justice (ICJ) has the authority to render binding decisions. For instance, it has ordered Russia to stop its incursion into Ukraine, but to no avail.

However, if Israel were to be found guilty, this would put more legal pressure on the international community. On Monday, the chief prosecutor of the International Criminal Court announced that he was requesting arrest warrants for senior Hamas and Israeli officials.

With its attack on Rafah, the last area of Gaza to see ground operations and the location where many civilians have sought shelter but also where Israel claims Hamas maintains its last significant stronghold, South Africa charged in hearings last week that what it called Israel’s “genocide” in Gaza had reached a “new and horrific stage.”.

South African lawyer Vaughan Lowe claimed that the Rafah campaign is “the last step in the destruction of Gaza and its Palestinian people.”.

Rafah was the one who introduced South Africa to the judge. However, he continued, “the protection from genocide that the court can order is necessary for all Palestinians as a national, ethnic, and racial group.”.

The 1948 UN Genocide Convention, which South Africa is accused of violating, is being made fun of by Israel’s legal team, who denounced the country’s argument as being “totally divorced” from reality.

Something does not become genocide just because it is called such repeatedly. Leading Israeli attorney Gilad Noam asserted, “Repeating a lie does not make it true.”.

“Genocide is not occurring; rather, a terrible war is ongoing.”.

In Rafah, Israel has ordered the mass departure of Hamas fighters and promised to destroy the organization’s tunnel network.

Over 800,000 people have reportedly fled to approved safe zones, according to the UN. Israel claims that there are at least 950,000 of them.

“Convention on Genocide”.

South Africa has appealed to the court four times, and Israel claims that each time the country abuses the process.

The ICJ ordered Israel to take all necessary steps to stop acts of genocide and allow humanitarian aid to reach Gaza in a ruling that garnered international attention in January.

South Africa contends that new ICJ action is necessary due to the ground situation, particularly the Rafah operation, but the court refrained from issuing an order for a ceasefire.

Israeli officials have vehemently denied South Africa’s accusations that their actions violate the 1948 UN Genocide Convention.

In response to Israel’s threat to attack Rafah, the court denied South Africa’s second application for emergency measures. In early March, South Africa submitted a new request.

About 1,200 Israelis, primarily civilians, were killed and 252 hostages were taken hostage during the terror attack on Israel by Hamas on October 7. Horrifying scenes of brutality and sexual violence were also witnessed.

After 105 civilians were freed from Hamas captivity during a week-long truce in late November, and four hostages were freed earlier, it is thought that 124 of these hostages are still in Gaza—not all of them alive. Troops have managed to free three hostages while they were still alive, and 16 hostages’ bodies have been found, including three that were accidentally killed by the military.

With reference to fresh intelligence and discoveries gathered by Israeli forces stationed in Gaza, the IDF has verified the demise of 37 of the individuals who were still under Hamas’ control.

Over 35,000 people in the Gaza Strip have either died or are believed to have died as a result of the fighting, according to the Hamas-run Gaza Health Ministry, even though only about 24,000 of the deaths have been officially confirmed at medical facilities. Unverified and without distinction between terrorists and civilians, the toll comprises approximately 15,000 terror operatives that Israel claims to have killed in combat.

According to Israel, on October 7, it eliminated about a thousand terrorists within the country.

The far southern city of Rafah has been the scene of intense fighting, but there have also been reports of renewed fighting in northern Gaza near Jabaliya, where Hamas forces have regrouped.

scroll to top