The capital of Haiti is quiet after the prime minister pledges to step down


Uncertainty hangs over Haiti as it waits for a new government following the resignation of Prime Minister Ariel Henry.
The move has been welcomed by Haitians, who are exhausted from months of escalating gang violence.
But while the streets of the capital Port-au-Prince appeared largely calm on Tuesday, the security situation is still far from settled.
Henry, stranded in Puerto Rico, released a video late on Monday night pledging to resign as soon as a transition council and temporary leader were chosen.
Michel Boisvert, Haiti’s acting prime minister while Henry was abroad, has signalled willingness to facilitate an orderly transition, a US State Department official said.
There were signs in the capital, Port-au-Prince, of an improvement in the security situation on Tuesday, with the streets quiet and no attacks on government offices or police stations reported.
The main CPS cargo port had reopened, local news outlet Le Nouvelliste reported, and some fuel from the Varreux facility near the port had been allowed out.
The capital’s airport has not resumed operations, but armed men who had taken control of it were no longer present.
Still, Radio Television Caraibes, one of Haiti’s oldest and largest TV stations, said it had to leave its headquarters in central Port-au-Prince, citing the insecurity.
The long-delayed mission is intended to boost outgunned local police and restore order in the Western Hemisphere’s poorest nation.

Prime Minister Ariel Henry’s resignation has left Haiti waiting for a new administration, which is fraught with uncertainty.

Haitians, worn out from months of increasing gang violence, applauded the move. Although the capital city of Port-au-Prince’s streets seemed to be mostly quiet on Tuesday, the security situation is still far from stable.

Late on Monday night, Henry, who is stuck in Puerto Rico, posted a video on social media in which he said he would step down as soon as a transition council and interim leader were selected.

After Caribbean leaders and US Secretary of State Antony Blinken met in Jamaica, US officials announced that the council would be named by Wednesday or Thursday.

According to a US State Department official, Michel Boisvert, who served as acting prime minister of Haiti while Henry was away, has expressed a desire to help ensure a smooth transition.

Tuesday’s quiet streets and the absence of any reported attacks on police stations or government buildings in the nation’s capital, Port-au-Prince, offered indications that the security situation had improved.

Local news source Le Nouvelliste reported that the main CPS cargo port had reopened and that some fuel from the Varreux facility near the port had been permitted to leave.

The airport in the capital has not reopened, but the armed men who had taken control of it had vanished.

Even yet, one of the biggest and oldest TV stations in Haiti, Radio Television Caraibes, stated that the insecurity forced it to abandon its central Port-au-Prince headquarters.

Another possible blow came when a top diplomat for Kenya informed Reuters that there was a delay in sending police officers to lead a security mission supported by the UN in Haiti until there was “a clear indication” that a new interim government had been established.

Restoring order in the poorest country in the Western Hemisphere and arming local police, who are currently outgunned, is the goal of the long-delayed mission.

Leave a Reply

scroll to top