The new chip is designed to fight the dominance of Nvidia

Precise News

SAN FRANCISCO, April 9 (Reuters) – Intel (INTC.O)New Tab, opens new tab detailed a new version of its artificial intelligence chip at its Vision event on Tuesday that takes aim at Nvidia’s (NVDA.O)New Tab, opens new tab dominance in semiconductors that power AI.
WHY IT IS IMPORTANT Tech companies are hunting for an alternative source of the scarce chips that are needed for AI.
Intel said that its new Gaudi 3 chip was capable of training a specific large language models 50% more quickly than Nvidia’s prior generation H100 processor.
It is also capable for computing generative AI responses, a process called inference, more quickly than the H100 chips for some of the models Intel tested.
BY THE NUMBERS Intel used Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co’s (2330.TW)New Tab, opens new tab 5nm process to build the chips.
WHAT IS NEXT The Gaudi 3 chip will be available to server builders such as Supermicro (SMCI.O)New Tab, opens new tab and Hewlett Packard Enterprise in the second quarter of this year.
The next generation of Gaudi chips will be code named Falcon Shores.
Reporting by Max A. Cherney in San Francisco Editing by Tomasz Janowski

NEUTRAL

SAN FRANCISCO, April 9 (Reuters): Intel (INTC. During its Vision event on Tuesday, the company unveiled a new version of its artificial intelligence chip, which is aimed at competing with Nvidia’s (NVDA). O)New Tab, reveals new tab dominance in semiconductors that drive artificial intelligence.

The reason it matters.

Tech firms are searching for a different supplier of the rare chips required for artificial intelligence. Intel claimed that compared to Nvidia’s previous generation H100 processor, its new Gaudi 3 chip could train certain large language models 50% faster. Additionally, it can compute generative AI responses—a process known as inference—faster than the H100 chips for a few of the models that Intel tested.

The essential quote.

Jeni Barovian, vice president of strategy and product management at Intel, stated, “Our customers are asking for choice in the industry, first and foremost.”. They come to us with the expectation that, as the industry leader in computing, Intel will ride the wave of generative AI and provide them with solutions that satisfy their requirements. They also seek an approach that is transparent. “.”.

The context.

Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) and Intel. O)New Tab, opens new tab has had difficulty developing a suitable set of chips and the software required to create AI apps that can compete with Nvidia. About 83 percent of the data center chip market was held by Nvidia in 2023, with Google’s custom tensor processing units (TPUs), which it does not sell directly, accounting for the majority of the remaining 17 percent.

BY THE CIRCUMSTANCE.

Intel made use of the 2330 from Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co. TW)New Tab: The 5nm process for building chips is opened in a new tab. Gaudi 3 is more than twice as fast as its predecessor and consists of two main processor chips fused together. The chip has the capability to produce a vast amount of computing power when connected in series with thousands of other chips.

UP NEXT.

Server manufacturers like Supermicro (SMCI) will be able to purchase the Gaudi 3 chip. O) The second quarter of this year saw the opening of a new tab and Hewlett Packard Enterprise.

Falcon Shores is the code name for Gaudi’s upcoming chip generation.

Max A. reported. Cherney, San Francisco; edited by Tomasz Janowski.

scroll to top