The film by Francis Ford Coppola will premiere at the festival

Precise News

NEW YORK (AP) — Nearly half a century after Francis Ford Coppola won the Cannes Film Festival’s Palme d’Or, he will return to the French Riviera festival to premiere his self-financed epic “Megalopolis.” The premiere was confirmed to The Associated Press on Tuesday by a person close to the project who requested anonymity because they weren’t authorized to make the announcement.
Hollywood trade Deadline first reported that “Megalopolis” will screen in competition at the 77th Cannes Film Festival on May 17.
The French film festival didn’t immediately respond to messages Tuesday.
Cannes chief Thierry Fremaux is set to announce the competition lineup Thursday in Paris.
Fremaux last week told Variety that he hoped to program “Megalopolis” at this year’s festival.
“‘Megalopolis’ is a project that he wanted to achieve for so long and he did it independently, in his own way, as an artist,” Fremaux said.
The project, which he first began conceiving in the early 1980s, cost a reported $120 million to make.
Coppola put up his money with the help of his wine empire to realize a passion project about the rebuilding of a metropolis.

NEUTRAL

NEW YORK (AP)—Francis Ford Coppola, who won the Palme d’Or at the Cannes Film Festival nearly 50 years ago, will debut his independently funded epic “Megalopolis” at the French Riviera festival. “.

An individual with knowledge of the project confirmed the premiere to The Associated Press on Tuesday. They asked to remain anonymous as they were not authorized to make the announcement. Hollywood trade publication Deadline was the first to reveal that on May 17, “Megalopolis” will have a competition screening at the 77th Cannes Film Festival.

Messages sent on Tuesday were not immediately answered by the French film festival. The competition schedule will be revealed in Paris on Thursday by Cannes chief Thierry Fremaux. Variety reported last week that Fremaux intended to screen “Megalopolis” during the festival this year.

“Megalopolis” is a project that he independently and uniquely accomplished as an artist, according to Fremaux. “It would be an honor to welcome him back as a filmmaker who comes to present his new film. He built the legend of the Cannes Film Festival.”. “.

Due to “Megalopolis” being a competition film, 85-year-old Coppola will be eligible to compete for Cannes’ Palme d’Or, which he won with “Apocalypse Now” 45 years ago. Coppola shared the Palme that year with Volker Schlöndorff’s “Die Blechtrommel,” but it was for “The Conversation” that he took home the top honor at Cannes 50 years prior. “.

Coppola started submitting “Megalopolis” to distributors after screening it for friends and family in recent weeks. The project, which he started conceptualizing in the early 1980s, was estimated to have cost $120 million to produce. Coppola invested heavily in the realization of his dream project—the reconstruction of a metropolis—with the aid of his wine empire. Alongside a stellar cast that includes Dustin Hoffman, Jon Voight, Laurence Fishburne, Aubrey Plaza, Shia LaBeouf, Chloe Fineman, and Kathryn Hunter, it stars Adam Driver and Giancarlo Esposito.

scroll to top